The Good. Clean. Fun.™ BLOG
When it comes to developer for hair color, it can be challenging to buy the right oxidant, peroxide, or activator. Which do you choose, and which one is best suited for your hair?
If you are looking to color your hair at home, there are many options to consider. In this blog post, we focus on developer and the various options that you have available. To start, let's take a look at exactly what developer is.
What is developer?
A hair developer is a hydrogen peroxide-based cream or lotion that's used to lighten hair. When combined with hair dye, it helps the color molecules penetrate the hair shaft so that your color will be long-lasting and uniform.
Hair developers come in different strengths, which are typically expressed as percentages. The higher the percentage, the more powerful the developer is
Why is developer important?
Hair developer is important because it helps to ensure that your hair color is long-lasting and uniform. Without it, your hair color would be more likely to fade quickly and be patchy.
Without developer, you are not maximizing the impact and effectiveness of your hair dye.
How to mix hair dye and developer
When you're ready to color your hair, you'll need to mix the hair dye and developer together in a ratio that's specified on the hair dye kit.
For example, in Better Natured® Permanent Hair Color, the ratio is 1:1, that means you should use one part hair dye to one part developer.
Once you've mixed the hair dye and developer together, apply it to your hair according to the instructions on the hair dye kit. Don't skip the instructions!
Common mistakes when using hair developer
One common mistake people make when using hair developer is not mixing it in the correct ratio. If you use too much developer, it can damage your hair.
Another common mistake is not using enough developer. If you don't use enough, the hair dye won't work properly and your color will not be the right shade.
Developer is an important part of the hair coloring process, so it's important to get it right.
What are the different types of hair developer?
There are three main types of hair developer:
- Oxidizing agents are the most common type of developer and they come in different strengths, typically ranging from 10 to 40 volume.
- Peroxide Developers are a stronger type of developer and are typically used for bleaching hair.
- Activators are the strongest type of developer and are typically used for very resistant hair.
Benefits of hair developer
There are many benefits of hair developer.
- Activation: Hair developer activates hair dye as soon as it's been mixed. It's a key ingredient!
- Better color: By lightening the hair, hair developer makes it easier for color to penetrate and adhere to the hair shaft.
- Consistency: Developer helps to maintain a consistent color throughout the hair shaft.
- Moisturizing: Some types of developer contain conditioners that help to keep hair hydrated and healthy-looking.
- Color removal: In some cases, hair developer can be used to strip color from the hair.
- Color delivery: Developer allows hair color to better penetrate the hair shaft, resulting in longer-lasting, more vibrant color.
How do you choose the right volume hair developer
The type of developer you need will depend on the type of hair dye you're using, as well as the look you're trying to achieve. Here are a few important things to consider:
- If you're using semi-permanent or demi-permanent hair color, you'll need a developer with a lower volume, between 3 and 20 Vol.
- If you're using a permanent hair color, you'll need a developer with a higher volume. This is usually between 20 and 30 Vol.
- And if you're looking to really lighten your hair, you'll need a developer with an even higher volume, between 30 and 40 Vol.
Now, let's take a look at what each level of volume developer achieves.
Which volume is right for your degree of lightening or darkening your hair?
There are a few things to consider when it comes to how light or dark you want your hair to be.
Let's start by taking a look at the 20 volume option.
20 volume hair developer
If you're looking to maintain your natural hair color or darken it slightly, 20 volume developer is a good option. It won't lighten your hair much, but it will help the hair dye to better penetrate the hair shaft and result in longer-lasting, more vibrant color.
20 volume developer is also a good option if you're looking to cover up some gray hair. It won't lighten your hair, but it will help to deepen the color and make it last longer.
A great example of this developer is the Better Natured product which is 20 volume, lifting your hair one to two levels and ideal for gray coverage.
30 volume hair developer
If you're looking to lighten your hair by more levels than the 20 developer, 30 volume developer is a good option. As with the 20, it's also a good choice if you're looking to cover up some gray hair.
Many people choose 30 volume for highlights because it's strong enough to lighten the hair, but not so strong that it will damage it.
Just like with the 20 volume, there are some excellent products available on the market.
40 volume hair developer
If you're looking to lighten your hair by three or more levels, 40 volume developer is the option for you. It's also a good choice if you have very resistant hair that's difficult to color.
People choose 40 volume because it's strong enough to lighten even the darkest hair. However, it's also very harsh and can damage the hair if used too often. So, it's best that you be cautious here.
Tips to get the most out of hair developer
Now that you know all about hair developer, let's take a look at some tips to help you get the most out of it.
- Follow the instructions: Hair developer is a powerful product, so it's important to follow the instructions on the packaging to avoid damaging your hair.
- Don't overdo it: If you're using a high-volume developer, don't leave it on your hair for too long. This can damage your hair and lead to breakage.
- Protect your scalp: When using any type of hair color, it's important to protect your scalp from chemicals.
- Use gloves: It's best that you protect your hands from the chemicals in hair developer by wearing gloves. This will help to keep the product from staining your hands.
- Rinse thoroughly: Be sure to rinse your hair thoroughly after using hair developer. This will help to remove any leftover chemicals and prevent them from damaging your hair.
Why Better Natured is the preferred option when it comes to hair developer
Here are just a few reasons why thousands of women across the US choose Better Natured® for their hair developer needs:
- Better Natured® is gentle on the hair and scalp: Our hair developer is formulated with natural ingredients that are gentle on the hair and scalp.
- Better Natured® is easy to use: Our hair developer is easy to use and can be applied in just minutes.
- Our products are long-lasting: Our hair developer is long-lasting and will help to keep your hair looking its best for weeks.
- Better Natured® is affordable: Our hair developer is very affordable and won't break the bank. You get everything you need in one kit for $25
- Better Natured® offers a money-back guarantee: We're so confident in our product that we offer a money-back guarantee.
- We have a team of experts: Our team of experts is always available to answer any questions you may have.
Better Natured 20 Volume Developer
If you're looking for a gentle, yet effective hair developer, Better Natured® 20 Volume Developer is the perfect choice. Our formula is made with natural ingredients and is designed to be gentle on the hair and scalp.
Better Natured® 20 Volume Developer is also easy to use and can be applied in just minutes. Plus, it's long-lasting and will help to keep your hair looking its best for weeks.
As we already mentioned, if you're not satisfied with our product, simply return it for a full refund. We offer a money-back guarantee so that you can buy with confidence.
Browse our online shop
If you are looking for high-quality and trusted hair care products, our online shop will give you plenty of options to consider. We offer a wide range of products that are designed to meet your needs and exceed your expectations.
If you'd like to find out more, you can also call us at 1-800-242-9283 or chat with a Better Natured® Specialist at www.betternatured.com