While there’s no denying an effervescent Champagne-colored blonde hue can turn a few heads, this season, it’s all about achieving rich, lustrous, ‘expensive brunette’ tresses. Far from boring and incredibly easy to maintain, you may think twice about going lighter this summer. Ahead, positive proof that blondes aren’t the only ones who have all the fun.
What Is the ‘Expensive Brunette’ Hair Color Trend?
‘Expensive brunette’ is a hair color with purposeful dimension. It relies on a mix of highs and lows that stay within one or two hues of the base color for a low-maintenance yet elevated look. Picture light and medium brown tones with a hint of gold worthy of the Red Carpet. You can achieve the expensive brunette look with a combination of highlights and lowlights or even with the balayage technique.
How to Maintain the Look with Better Natured® Products
Once you achieve an expensive brunette hue, look no further than Better Natured® to maintain your look for less without taking away from its rich, lustrous appeal.
Protect Your Rich Hue with Our Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner
Prevent fading and keep your hair shiny and hydrated with our Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner. When used together, this set leaves color-treated hair smooth from root to tip and helps keep your hair color vibrant for up to nine weeks.* Preserve your gorgeous expensive brunette hue while leaving your hair smooth, silky, and less prone to breakage.**
Try to avoid shampooing your hair daily to help preserve your color's vibrancy. Reach for our Fresh Dry Shampoo Powder on those in-between days. This non-aerosol dry shampoo powder is designed to absorb oil between washes and boost the life of blowouts. It leaves no trace of white residue behind — just that feeling of freshly washed hair.
*When used as a system with Better Natured® Color Care Shampoo.
**Against combing breakage on damaged hair when using Better Natured® Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner vs. a non-conditioning shampoo.Shop Our Shampoos and Conditioners
Give Your Tresses Some Extra TLC
Give your hair an upgraded moisture boost with Better Natured®’s award-winning Deep Conditioning Balm. This color-safe deep conditioner locks down the brilliance, depth, and tone in color-treated hair for up to nine weeks.* With an intensely restorative formula, this deep conditioning treatment delivers serious TLC that helps return strands to their soft, shiny, healthy-looking glory.
*When used as a system with Better Natured® Color Care Shampoo two to three times weekly.
Safeguard Against Hot Tools
Overworked hair can appear dull, dry, and damaged. Protect your tresses and expensive brunette’s vibrancy with our Heat Styling Lotion before you grab your blow dryer or heated styling aid. This smoothing blow dry lotion protects hair during blow drying*, delivers 96 hours of frizz control, and preps strands for a soft, gorgeous ﬁnish that’s smooth, reshapable, and long-lasting. Additionally, Better Natured®’s Hydrating Leave-In Milk hydrates, softens, detangles, smooths, delivers shine, and protects against your blow dryer’s blast while providing all-day moisture.
*Against combing breakage during heat styling.Shop Our Treatment Products Here
Touch-Up with Our At-Home Hair Color
Better Natured® offers several different at-home hair color options, but when it comes to touching up expensive brunette, you can’t go wrong with shade 6N or 5G. 6N’s Dark Natural Blonde is simply a gorgeous go-to shade that tiptoes in-between light brunette and dark blonde and offers impeccable gray coverage. On the flip side, 5G’s Light Golden Brown features more of those golden hues that will catch the light and create beautiful dimension.
It’s recommended for medium brown to dark blonde hair and is suitable for hair color newbies and experts alike. Here’s how to use it:
Bottle vs. Brush
For the former, pour the developer into the application bottle, add color, and shake to mix it. Follow the same steps for the latter, but pour the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a brush. Whichever method you choose, use a 1:1 ratio — 2 ounces/60 milliliters of color ratio to 2 ounces/60 milliliters of developer.
Follow these steps every four to eight weeks as needed.
- Color your new growth (roots) using the application method of your choice onto vertical partings. Starting in the front, work your way down in rows about ¼’’ apart and then repeat in the back. Unclip and re-clip each section if necessary. You should use about half of the color mixture, avoiding the previously colored hair.
- Set the timer for 30 minutes. If you have stubborn grays, leave the color on for an additional 10.
- Rinse well with warm water until the water runs clear. Next, shampoo and condition with our Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Style as desired.
Follow these instructions if you’re a hair color virgin, haven’t touched up your color in over three months, or are switching to a darker shade.
- Color your new growth (roots) using the application method of your choice onto vertical partings. Starting in the front, work your way down in rows about ¼’’ apart and then repeat in the back. Unclip and re-clip each section if necessary. Set the timer for 35 minutes.
- Apply the remaining color mixture to hair lengths and ends, section by section, using a wide-tooth comb, color brush, or gloved hands to evenly distribute the mixture into the hair.
- If covering grays, leave the color on for an additional 10 minutes.
- Rinse well with warm water until the water runs clear. Shampoo and condition with our Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner.
Maintaining expensive brunette hair color doesn’t have to cost as much as it looks! Better Natured® has everything you need to keep your hair looking vibrant and lustrous. Need some hair care advice before getting started? Take our hair care quiz! Our professionals are always here to help you feel confident about at-home hair color and care.