The Good. Clean. Fun.™ BLOG
Source: 2M media/Shutterstock.com
Remember when Friends was all the rage, and you could spot “the Rachel” ’do on nearly every street corner? Well, nostalgic hairstyles are making a comeback. After almost a decade of minimalist hairstyles, the ’90s blowout is back, bigger and better than ever. The look that used to be seen on glossy magazine covers is now trending on TikTok. Here’s everything you need to know about this throwback movement, including how to achieve a bombshell blowout at home.
All About the ’90s Blowout Look
A ’90s blowout is all about volume and amplifying body and shine. It works best on those with face-framing layers to create height while keeping the hair smooth and wavy. Bonus points for being a flattering style for all face shapes.
How to Do a ’90s Blowout at Home
Conquering the quintessential ’90s blowout means perfecting your technique and using the correct tools and products. It may take you a few times to get it down pat, but before you know it, you’ll be able to create head-turning volume like a pro.
Step 1: Prep Your Tresses
Any time you use a blow dryer or heat tools, you’re putting your hair at risk for damage. Start by washing and conditioning with reconstructive, moisture-enhancing formulas such as our Damage Repair Shampoo and Conditioner to help strengthen your strands and prevent breakage while delivering high-level shine. If your hair is extra dry or coarse, apply a small amount of Damage Repair Strengthening Leave-In Cream.
Featured: Better Natured®’s Heat Styling Lotion
- Let your hair air dry until it’s damp, not sopping wet, before applying styling products such as a volumizing mousse (from the roots to the mid-shaft) and a heat protectant such as Better Natured®’s Heat Styling Lotion. This go-to formula protects hair during blow drying while providing an impressive 96 hours of frizz control. It also helps create the perfectly smooth, shapeable, long-lasting ’90s blowout.
Smooth Frizz and Protect Your Strands with Our Heat Styling Lotion
Step 2: Shape and Volumize
Remember that you’re not going for a straight look, so along with volume, you’ll be shaping your hair so it has movement and curvature at the ends.
- Divide your hair into sections and secure it with clips. You can find the ones pros use at a beauty supply store. How many sections should you make? Good question. That all depends on how much hair you have and how it’s cut — the more layers you have, the more you’ll need. As a general rule of thumb, part your hair from ear to ear and create a top and a bottom section. Secure the top and divide the bottom into two to three — more if needed.
- Starting at the bottom, wrap small sections of hair under and around a round brush. Pick up your blow dryer and direct the heat at the roots. Gradually work your way down the area and finish it off by rolling the ends under to provide shape and a slight curl. Complete the same steps until you get through all of your hair.
Pro tip: Direct the brush downwards, away from your face. Once it's about 90 percent dry, move upward to get the flip at the ends. Pull your round brush upwards when working on the top sections to encourage more volume at the root before addressing your tips.
- If you’re struggling with the round brush, you can use Velcro rollers to achieve a similar look. Simply section off your hair, roll, and apply heat. Wait until your hair is cool to unroll so you don’t lose its shape.
Source: Nina Buday/Shutterstock.com
Step 3: Finish Off Your Look
The goal is touchable volume and shape, so finish off your look with a non-aerosol hairspray with a light to medium hold. Other valuable products include:
- Sculpting clay to help mold your flipped tips.
- A texturizing spray or powder to help retain shape, volume, and character.
- Shine spray or a few drops of hair oil to promote a healthy sheen.
Technique, tools, and products are the secret sauce to executing an iconic ’90s blowout. If this hot trend quickly becomes your new go-to style, don’t forget to protect and style your hair with our Blow Dry Lotion to ensure the health of your hair through this hair craze and all of those that are sure to follow.
Browse All Hair Styling Products from Better Natured®