Care and diligence is an essential yet commonly overlooked part of having color treated hair. All too often, people assume it's dye then done - but that's not the case. Once you've dyed your hair, you need to take extra care of it to maintain both the color vibrancy and overall health of your locks.
And it's in your best interest!
You've put so much work into crafting the perfect balance of colors and tones - why let it degrade faster than it has to?
In this article, we'll explain everything you need to know about keeping color treated hair looking at its best in the face of risks of damage.
Know The Risks
Hair is prone to all sorts of damage, especially so if it’s been treated with coloring products. They can strip the protective lipid from your cuticle and make it even more vulnerable to adverse effects.
Here is a breakdown of the risks and types of damage each can cause.
- Harsh Chemicals: It’s pretty easy to see how chemicals may pose a threat to hair health. After all, they are chemicals. Overuse of synthetic substances like these can adapt the structure of your hair and leave it vulnerable to breakage, frizz and split ends.
- Heat Styling: Who doesn’t love clean and crisply straightened or curled hair? Well, your hair itself if you’re doing it too much. The nature of heat styling tools pose a unique risk to hair health in the way that it can directly impact your hair’s structure and resilience. Temperatures over 300°F convert the ⍺-keratin to β-keratin, which can contribute to weakened hair that’s more prone to damage.
- Natural Heat: Sun and humidity aren’t innocent when it comes to the negative effects of heat on hair - they also play a contributory role in causing damage. They do so however in a slightly different way than heat tools - rather than directly frying hair, natural forces like these slowly adapt hair structure to make it more porous and frizzy.
Ways To Care For Your Color Treated Hair
By taking proper care of your color treated hair, you can minimize the damage and keep your locks looking healthy and vibrant. Here are a few of the best ways to do so.
Use The Right Shampoo And Conditioner
The first step to properly caring for color treated hair is using the right shampoo and conditioner. Drugstore shampoos and conditioners that are designed for "normal" hair can actually strip away color treated hair's natural oils, leaving it dry and brittle. Look for shampoo and conditioner formulas that are specifically designed for color treated hair, and avoid those with harsh sulfates or alcohols. Better Natured® Color Care Shampoo and conditioner keeps your shade vibrant for up to nine weeks.
Wash Less Frequently
While this may feel counterintuitive, the fact of the matter is that washing your hair often can actually create more negative impacts than good. This is especially the case for those with dyed hair, as frequent shampooing and rinsing can lead to color fading and dryness.
In general, it's recommended to wash your hair a few times per week at most, and to use a mild, color-safe shampoo when you do. If your hair starts to feel oily in between washes, try using a dry shampoo or simply rinsing with cool water and tying it up in a bun until your next wash day.
Steer Free Of Chlorine
Chlorine bonds with artificial coloring and draws it out quickly. This means that if you're spending any time in chlorinated water - whether it's a pool, hot tub, or even just your bathtub - you need to take extra care to protect your hair.
One way to do this is by wetting your hair with clean water before getting into chlorinated water, which will help to create a barrier between your hair and the chlorine. You can also try wearing a swim cap or using a leave-in conditioner before swimming.
Avoid Heat Damage
Heat styling is one of the biggest enemies of color treated hair. It can cause fading and damage, so it's best to avoid it whenever possible. If you must heat style, use a protectant spray beforehand, and make sure not to use too much heat.
What Is Heat Protectant?
A heat protectant is a leave-in product that you apply to your hair before using any kind of heat styling tool, such as a curling iron, flat iron, or blow dryer. Heat protectants help to shield your hair from the damaging effects of heat by creating a barrier between your hair and the tool.
How Does Heat Protectant Work?
Heat protectant works by creating a barrier between your hair and the heat source. This barrier helps to protect your hair from the damaging effects of heat, including fading, drying out, and becoming brittle. They'll usually contain a blend of ingredients that work together to create this barrier, such as silicones, oils, and extracts.
Do I Need Heat Protectant?
If you're using any kind of heat styling tool on your hair, then yes - you need heat protectant! Even if you're just blow drying your hair, it's a good idea to use a heat protectant beforehand to help keep your hair healthy and prevent damage. The Better Natured® Heat Styling Lotion is an ideal product to use as a heat protectant. You apply it to your damp hair, working it into small sections from the hair roots to the tips. Once you've applied the lotion, use your heating tools. When your hair is dry, apply a light touch of additional lotion. The lotion protects, smooths and controls frizz for up to 96 hours.
What Are The Benefits Of Heat Protectant?
Heat protectants offer a number of benefits for those with color treated hair. Here are a few of the most notable.
Helps To Preserve Color
One of the main benefits of heat protectant is that it helps to preserve your hair color. This is because it creates a barrier between your hair and the heat source, which prevents the color from fading or bleeding out.
It's important to note that heat protectant will not completely prevent color from fading - but it will help to slow down the process and keep your hair looking vibrant for longer.
Helps To Prevent Damage
Another benefit of heat protectant is that it helps to prevent damage to your hair. This is because it protects your hair from the direct exposure to heat, which can cause drying, frizzing, and breakage.
By using heat protectant, you can help to keep your hair healthy and strong - even if you do use heat styling tools on a regular basis.
Makes Heat Styling Easier
Heat protectant can also make heat styling easier - and less damaging. This is because it helps to create a smooth surface on your hair, which can make it easier to style and prevent snagging.
It can also help to prevent your hair from getting too dry, which can make it more difficult to style and more likely to break.
Adds Shine And Smoothness
Heat protectant can also help to add shine and smoothness to your hair. This is because it creates a barrier that helps to lock in moisture, making your hair look healthier and shinier.
It can also help to smooth out the hair cuticle, which can make your hair appear softer and more manageable.
Now that you know the clear reasons for and advantages of heat protectant, it's time to go shopping for your very own. When doing so, it's pivotal to remember that although they're all designed to do the same thing in theory, not all heat protectants yield the same results.
You'll want to be sure to get a quality product designed specifically for heat styling - and one that's right for your hair type.
Better Natured® Heat Styling lotion will become you go to protectant! a meticulously crafted blend of professional ingredients that embodies the excellence you know and expect from the Better Natured® name.
- Responsibly Formulated: Better Natured® Heat Styling Lotion is formulated in accordance with ISO Global Standard 16128, containing 93% naturally-derived ingredients.
- Free Of All The Bad Stuff: Unlike some other heat protectants on the market, this product is free of sulfates, phthalates, and other harsh chemicals.
- Thermal Protection: This heat protectant spray provides thermal protection up to 450°F, making it ideal for use with all types of heat styling tools.
- Vegan Formula: The vegan formula is gentle on both your hair and the environment.
- Total Frizz Control: Being a control freak isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're talking about heat protectant. Better Natured® Heat Styling Lotion provides an unparalleled level of protection against frizz - a whopping 96 hours of time to be exact.
- Intensely Nourishing: In addition to providing thermal protection, this heat spray also helps to nourish and strengthen your hair with every use.
- Conditioning Power: Packed with the power of coconut oil, this product is sure to leave your hair feeling soft, silky, and healthy.
- Flowery Fresh: This heat protectant has a light, refreshing floral scent that will leave your hair smelling great.
Heat protectant is a must for anyone and everyone looking to preserve their color treated hair. By following the tips in this article and investing in the right product, you're sure to enjoy shinier, softer, and healthier hair for years to come. So what are you waiting for? Give our heat protectant a try today!