Let’s face it: there’s a direct link between our hair and our mojo. When our crowning glory is on point our inner queens come out to play. But in the midst of a long year and one of intermittent salon appointments, our repertoire of styles and shades could use a reboot. Particularly when it comes to looks that make us feel flirty and confident and are guaranteed to earn a double-take from our BFs.
As usual, Better Natured® has you covered. Whether it's a Zoom meetup, a sunset stroll or an at-home date night, our experts have fresh hairstyle inspo to help you dial up the sexy, the sassy or the romantic. And the best part is that each of these looks are easily achievable at home with Better Natured® naturally-derived* formulas that nourish your hair and are gentle on the planet, too.
For a dramatic change with minimal effort, nothing beats a ponytail. (No, we’re not talking the kind you throw your hair into before a workout.) Bubble ponytails, braided ponytails, side ponytails, messy mid-ponytails, slicked-back low ponytails: ponytail possibilities are endless. But for a chic, high-impact ‘do that exudes confidence and sexy swagger, opt for a high ponytail.
“High ponytails are the perfect date night style,” says style expert and #betternaturepartner Jennifer MacDougall. “Pulling your hair up and back draws attention to your facial features, reveals the beautiful curves of your neck and, if you’re petite, adds confidence-boosting height. Plus, it’s a fun power move to whip that ponytail around!”
To achieve the perfect high pony, MacDougall recommends the following steps:
- Before you blow dry, apply a generous dollop of Better Natured® Heat Styling Lotion to hair. Start at the ends and scrunch your way up to the crown to avoid applying too much product at the roots. This product protects hair from heat styling, and delivers 96 hours of frizz control.
- Once hair is dry, smooth with a flat iron from root to ends.
- Next, apply Better Natured® Shine Glaze to polish the hair and smooth the ends. Starting with a dime-sized amount, emulsify in your fingertips, and work through the mid-lengths and ends bit by bit.
- Brush hair back into a sleek half ponytail at the crown and secure with an elastic that matches your hair color.
- Brush remaining hair into a second ponytail that sits just below the first one. “This creates the illusion of a longer ponytail as all hair is not pulled up to the crown.”)
- If you want a sleek, straight look, you're done!
- For volume and waves, loosely curl the ponytail ends with a large barrel curling iron.
- Prefer an edgier approach? Spritz on a little Better Natured® Beachy Texture Spray and work in with your fingers for a more textured, untamed style.
A trending variation on the high pony is the half up - half down style, featuring a mini ponytail on top. According to MacDougall, this look works well on its own or when dialing up the drama with hair extensions. “If you’ve never experienced really long hair, or are looking to add more volume to your lengths, extensions are a fun way to experiment - and surprise your love!”
Play With Color
Sometimes all it takes to feel brand new is a little pop of color. Celebrity colorist Amanda George is a fan of new Better Natured® Color Correcting Cremes because they’re a fast, easy way to freshen up your look - while delivering a deep conditioning treatment to your hair. #winwin
With nourishing, naturally-derived* ingredients like Coconut, Tahitian Palm and White Orchid Milks, the Color Correcting Cremes are designed to gently boost hair color that has started to fade or turn brassy. Available in three shades, George explains which option is ideal for whom:
- Brunettes that are too warm can go cooler with Color Correcting Creme – Blue
- Blondes who want to banish brass and go blonder should opt for Color Correcting Creme – Purple
- “For Blondes that wanna have fun,” George suggests Color Correcting Creme - Rose Gold, calling it “a cheeky tone that gives a soft strawberry hue”.
Giving a subtle yet unexpected twist to your color is super easy. George advises her clients to simply apply to freshly shampooed hair, leave on for three minutes and rinse. Depending on your hair style and texture, use your favorite Better Natured® styling product (“We love the Hydrating Leave-In Milk!”) and get yourself gorgeous with a great blowout. While the final look options are unlimited, George suggests playing up your color with a romantic ribbon or bow if you’re feeling demure, or a trio of embellished barrettes for extra dazzle.
*We hold ourselves to high standards and use the Global ISO Standard 16128 which defines naturally-derived as a plant or mineral derived material and water which is found in nature and has undergone limited processing. In the Better Natured™ line, the percent naturally-derived varies from product to product and ranges from 86% to 99%.